Let your HEADSHOTS start speaking for you!
Make no little plans but of big ones. Though the hours may seem to grow slow and obstacles will be sure to arise; you may change direction but never change your decision to get there. Aim high with hope, work diligently and advance confidently.
To Jose Chavez, congratulations!
When I’m feeling alone or troubled I reach to my family. And when I feel ungrounded, sometimes all I need is to visit with them. I may not visit them often enough, and I know that much is very true, but when I do, I find myself cherishing the time we have. I even wonder, “why ever don’t I come by more often? This feels great.” The feeling of family; it’s taken for granted and we all do it. Especially this day in age. But there is one thing I have learned, “Family is where our roots lie.” It’s what lives are built on.
Family is a strong word and an important one at that. What Is “Family”? What does the word “family” mean for you? Whom does it include? Do you see your pet as a part of your family? For me, having family is to feel complacent. It’s a feeling of security. To have someone whom you can rely on and whom you can confide in. It also means to have respect for each other and responsibility. By responsibility, I mean to take care of each other and be there for each other. And with the best intentions, to not hold back or steer wrong.
There once was a time that I did not think I was going to make it past 25. I did not think I’d ever find a husband, bare a child, or even gain a family of my very own. For me, my family is something very important in my life because they are people I know will never fail me and whom I will never fail. And yes, my pets are members of my family.
Tomorrow is never guaranteed. No one lives forever. So what is a better way to instill their memory than to suspend them in time? Why not invest in a family portrait? With that said, when was your last family portrait? Do you even have one? Life is full of great moments. A family portrait is not only something that can be displayed for decades but it’s also something can be displayed proudly.
Of course, when your like 75 and showing all the grand kids pictures of yourself, you’re gonna want them to see the best version of the younger you so I’m going to also provide you with a few tips on how to make sure you look SPECTACULAR in your family portraits.
1. Plan Wardrobe Choices with Your Family
You don’t want to dress in uniform but you also don’t want to stick out like a soar thumb. Decide on wearing clothing styles/patterns that haven’t changed much over the years. You know how fashion and time works. What is absolutely awesome to wear now might not be so awesome later on down the road. Avoid the dated and trendy for a much safer approach.
2. Wear Colors That Flatter Your Skin Tone
Choose a color that looks best with your skin tone. A helpful hint, gem colors look good on every body.
If you’re not sure which gem color works best for you, here are a few tips to help you decide. Look at your veins. If they appear more blue than green, you have a cool skin tone. However, if they look more green than blue, you have a warm skin tone.
Just keep in mind, warm with warm and cool with cool. Warm skin tones are best flattered with brown, tan, red, orange, gold and taupe. Cool skin tones look great with cool colors like charcoal grey, blue, purple and white. If you still feel a bit undecided just ask your friends and family what colors look best on you. Most people can choose the appropriate hues instinctively.
3. Wear Underwear That Keeps Your Outerwear Looking Great
Rest assure that the undershirt you are wearing beneath your best suit may in fact have a dramatic effect on your overall appearance. Yes, everything may look in place with the initial tuck-in but all that twisting, turning and bending is sure to have your undershirt wiggling its way back out. Baggy undershirts that won’t stay tucked in can add up to 15 pounds to your appearance, and that’s not counting what the camera adds.
Look for the best undershirts that fit properly and move with you. Your shirt will look neater, and because you’re outfit makes you feel all GQ you’ll feel more confident, your facial expression and smile may be more relaxed. Also choose outerwear that fits well on your frame. A common fashion mistake is to wear loose-fitting or overly-tight clothes. Don’t be afraid of tailoring your clothes for that perfect fit.
4. Dress Rehearsal
It’s your portrait; your style, but no matter how casual or how formal you are planning your portrait to be; just make sure that everyone is on the same page. To avoid last-minute confusion and bickering, plan a dress rehearsal the night before your appointment. No-one wants to feel like the odd man out.
5. Don’t Skimp on Sleep
Studies have shown that sleep deprivation significantly affects facial appearance. Be sure that you get plenty of sleep as you can before the day of your session. We may live in an era that is infatuated with zombie apocalypses and vampire folklore but the red-eyed undead look never works well in portraits… unless your going for a Halloween theme.
It’s Your Portrait; You Call the Shots
Football season has begun, so SCORE BIG by becoming your ‘hunny’s’ MVP!
Hair and Makeup Included!
Sports & Fitness
Push-ups. A simple body-weight activity that targets and intensifies work on the upper body and core. An exercise that strengthens your triceps, biceps, pectorals, deltoids, abdominals, obliques, quadriceps and erector spinae.
A while back I developed a new love for push-ups. Yes, that’s right, push-ups. Prior to discovering this new love of mine I couldn’t even do one single push-up and I’m being completely serious. I actually learned how to do a real push-up by doing Sean T’s Insanity workout. I figured, well, if I’m going to be doing push-ups now would be the perfect time to implement the full body version. I learned that starting out, it’s not about the quantity of push-ups that you can do. It’s about the form. If you don’t have the correct form you will not only cheat your results but you will look completely silly performing. So I made up a challenge for myself. Every day I’d challenge my number. If I did 16 today than tomorrow I’d do 17. Eventually I pushed myself even further. I’d time myself and count how many regular push-ups I could do, correctly, within 3 minutes. My highest count now is 97. Pretty impressive huh! I know, I’m quite proud of myself. When working out, I always try to incorporate at least 3 different push-up variations. I’m not so advanced that I can do a one armed push-up or anything but these 3 variations are my go-to.
- Regular Push-up: Start off in a plank position. Hands should be placed directly under the shoulders with feet together, if not slightly apart. While lowering your body down keep your elbows tucked close to your rib cage. If you can’t do regular push-ups, here’s a helpful tip to make things easier. Place your hands, only slightly wider than your shoulders and angle them inward. Now part your feet wide. This is not technically correct but it will help get you there for the time being.
- Jack Push-up: Start off in a plank position and go down into a push up while bringing your legs out at the same time; kind of like a jumping jack. When you come back up, bring your legs back in and reset to plank.
- Oblique Knee Push-up: The hardest but my absolute favorite and I got it from Sean T. Your hands should be placed directly under or slightly wider than the shoulders. While lowering the body, drive your knee up and out towards your tricep. On your way back up extend the leg back into the plank position.
Remember: Perfect form is key! Keep your head aligned with your spine. Your pelvis should be tucked in slightly; mindful not to sink down too low or raise up too high. Now have at it… and try challenging yourself!
If you are looking to challenge yourself and you’re 100% serious, I would like to open up a “Before & After Package” for you. If you’re about to enter into a lifestyle change or challenge and this is something that may interest you, please contact me for more details.
Pin-up Tales: Skin Care
PRESERVE & PROTECT
A professional camera and lighting setup has an amazing way of showing the true condition of your skin. Pay special attention to your skin. Do you see any signs of aging starting to creep in? Is it dry?
The foundation to any skin care regime is having a good cleanser and a good moisturizer. Avoiding a moisturizer all together to evade having oily skin only results in your skin producing more oils to make up for that dryness. Use a quality moisturizer and start about a week before your photo shoot. If you have oily skin, take a few oil-blotting wipes to the studio to prevent a glaring forehead shine from ruining your picture.
Here are some products that I currently use and recommend.
HEALTHY PET, HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
Is Your Health Reflecting Onto Your Pets?
So I came across this article in Health magazine and it talks about how your pets share the same lifestyle as you. Not that we’ve really actually stopped to think about it in detail and duration but the fact remains whether our lifestyle choices are healthy or not, our furry loved ones are affected.
According to Health Magazine, our pets illness can be a reflection of our own health, especially when it comes to lifestyle choices. And in most cases we can correct the problem in both owner and pet by just paying attention to the details.
3 common animal symptoms:
Is He/She Anxious?
A study from the University of Lincoln in England and the University of Sao Paulo found that domestic dogs actually do have the ability to combine facial and vocal cues to perceive human emotions, which make them attune to your mood. Likewise, specific phobias can carry over to your dogs, noted by Stanley Coren, PhD, author of How to Speak Dog: Mastering the Art of Dog-Human Communication.
A Change In Grooming Habits?
If your pet has been licking and scratching more than usual it could be signs of allergies. Visit your local vet to help find the culprit. To help minimize the amount of pollen, among other allergens:
- Wipe off (with a wet wipe) the bottom of your pets paws and face when y’all get home after outside time.
- Shower and change your clothes.
- Bathe your pet regularly.
- Vacuum and clean your pets bedding.
Is He/She Looking A Bit On The Heavy Side?
Its been said that from 2009 to 2015, obesity has risen in dogs as well by 10 percent. A healthier lifestyle for you means a healthier lifestyle for your furry little buddy. So if you won’t do it for yourself, will you at least do it for your fur baby?
I used to be an event contact and coordinator. My experience wasn’t too much more than a year but I did learn quite a bit and I loved it. When planning an event, whether it be for business or pleasure there are certain steps that should be followed to allow yourself to plan in a budget friendly manner and above all, in a stress free zone.
PLAN OF ACTION
- Set A Budget – This is the overall amount that sets the bar to the maximum limit you (or your client) can spend. Keep it noted that you do not have to reach this max, it’s just a cap-off.
- Decide On A Budgeting Tool – Whether it be an excel spreadsheet or an online budgeting software, either one is a perfect candidate to keep you on track.
- Setup Budget Items – Create categories. For example: Food would be listed as a category in one row and in the next row, Rentals.
- Sub-categorize and Track Budget Items – Add items such as Cakes, Champagne, Tables, Chairs, Entertainment, etc. Next to each item add the quantity, then next to that the item detail, and then the amount quoted. You can even add an additional column for notes (who you talked to, phone numbers, etc).
- Map It Out – Draw out your own blueprint of the event area and mark where everything should go so you can be prepared ahead of time. WAM, BAM, THANK YOU MA’AM!
- Setup A Timeline – If there are multiple event or activities going down at your event have an idea of when everything should take place. What time will it start? Approximately how long will it take? What time should the next activity begin? Having an estimated timeline is better than playing the guessing game. Plus, you don’t risk your guests boredom by losing track of time.
*Note: Ask vendors for quotes beforehand if you don’t have any idea for costs. It’s always a good idea to get estimates from multiple vendors before committing.
*2nd Note: Apply a 5-15% overage expense to your budget. Always be ready for the unexpected.
MOST LIKED ON INSTAGRAM
In The Spotlight: Tesla Electrical Services Electrician, Michael DeAses
What overall experience do you have?
Are you licensed?
What special training/experience do you have for this kind of work?
What does your estimate include?
We do flat rate pricing.
We will have an expiration date for estimate due to fluctuations in price on some materials.
Do I need a permit? Who will obtain it?
Who will perform the work?
What will you guarantee/warranty?
May I see a work in progress?
Have you ever torn apart a computer or device to see how it works? Just curious.
Well there wasn’t many computers around when I was a kid but I did take apart a lot of electronics even made tattoo machines out of Walkman parts I was taught this by some of my not so good friends.
EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT
September 1 – 5 Labor Day Festivities (ALL WEEKEND LONG)
September 9 Amazing Houston Comic Con 2016
September 10 The Yoga Expo
September 17 SHRP Food Truck Festival
September 23-25 Southwest International Boat Show
September 24-25 Houston’s very 1st Open Air Music Festival
September 29 Houston Art Fair 2016
September 30 2016 Kellogg’s Tour of Gymnastics Champions
|International Bacon Day
|Sep 9||California Admission Day||Local observance|
|Sep 10||Carl Garner Federal Lands Cleanup Day||Observance|
|Sep 11||Patriot Day||Observance|
|National Grandparents Day
Chocolate Milkshake Day
|Sep 16||Constitution Day and Citizenship Day observed||Observance|
|Sep 16||National POW/MIA Recognition Day||Observance|
|Sep 17||Constitution Day and Citizenship Day||Observance|
|Sep 18||Air Force Birthday
National Women’s Friendship Day
3rd Sunday in Sep
|Miniature Golf Day
|Sep 22||1st Day of Fall
|Sep 23||Native Americans’ Day||Local observance|
|Sep 25||Gold Star Mother’s Day||Observance|
Thanks so much for stopping by. Please like and share with all of your friends. If you have any questions or suggestions, I’m all ears!
With much respect and appreciation,
Art can go into any room in your home. It can be in a bedroom, a kitchen, a dining room or living room; even a bathroom. How many times have you gone to a place, whether it be a public building or a friends house and look around the room, bathroom included? You can even buy art for the “Man Cave” or “Babe Cave” (your sanctuary; whatever you wanna call it) such as tournament or belt test photos, or whatever your heart desires! With the variety of prints to choose from, you can get anything from the “softer” canvas prints to a more masculine feel like metal prints. There is also a special NEW 3D View-Master item available, which may or may not be ideal for sports photos but better for something like Cheesecake (the more provocative pinup) or Boudoir. This item could be freaking incredibly awesome as a gift and has been recently featured as this months promotional piece (see below for details). So ask me about anything special you might have in mind and get Shorty!
Boudoir: From Head to Toe
What to Expect
Keep in mind that mostly every woman coming in to get their boudoir images walk in looking like you and me. By that I mean, they don’t usually spend their days with their hair and makeup done, always in the best light and a most flattering pose. And if you are worried about not having that perfect skin that you see in most boudoir photos? You know the ones without blemishes or cellulite? Well, I have news for you. Those images have been retouched and I can do that for you too.
Part of my job is making you look your best and that’s exactly what I try to do. One of the most common concerns I hear from women is that they need to lose about 5 – 10 more pounds before coming in. No. You. Don’t. You are beautiful just the way you are!
One more thing I hear is, “I’m not sure about how I feel being on your website,” and I am absolutely fine with that. Your privacy and re-assurance is important to me and I will never put your images up without your permission nor will I ever pressure you to allow me to use your images anywhere. But don’t be surprised when you see your proofs and then say, and I quote, “Wow, is that me? Oh my gosh, OK, I’ve changed my mind. You can definitely put these on your site!”.
Pinup Tales: Tell the Tale
Pinup is very exaggerated and one thing I always say is if you’re feeling awkward than you’re doing GREAT!
I thought of using the name “Pinup Tales” because I want to capture your tale, your personality, your character. When you consider pinup think about what makes you, you. Yeah, we can do the always fun and classic poses from Bettie Paige and Rosie the Riveter (etc) but why not also do the “your name here” poses? Think of your hobbies and interests. You are unique in your own way. Why not incorporate those ideas into your session?
If your doing this for someone close to your heart, think of something specific y’all enjoy doing together or even something you know he’ll get a kick out of. Again, I’m always down to collaborate.
Promo Time Baby!
In the Spotlight: King Realty Broker, Ram King
What is your experience and education? I have been a licensed realtor for going on 7 years and a licensed broker for a little over a year.
Is this your full-time job? This is my full time career. I have basically immersed myself in as much of the real estate world as I can.
Are you a member of the National Association of Realtors? I am a member of the National Association of Realtors, Texas Association of Realtors and Houston Association of Realtors.
What’s the price range of most of the homes you have sold? My average price sold is aprox $375,000.
How many homes did you sell last year? 2015 we were able to help over 75 families move into new homes.
Which neighborhoods do you primarily work in? Our office is in Sugar Land, but our agents live all over the Houston area, so we are able to help you no matter what part of town you live in.
On average, how close to the asking price is the final sale price on homes you have sold? Our average LP/SP is 97.8%.
Do you work on your own or as part of a team? I own and operate an independent brokerage called King Realty and currently sponsoring 5 outstanding agents not including myself. Beatriz Galindo, Mariel Henriquez, Vincent Herrera, Anthony Duong, Alex Narvaez.
What type of support staff or resources do you have? We have a full time office manager that keeps everyone on track with our contracts, important dates, customer service needs, agent on boarding. We also have a marketing manger and agent support manager.
How will you keep me informed about progress? We like to have a minimum call with our listing clients to update them on activity during the course of the week on their properties. If any immediate actions are needed we will quickly make contact with our buyer or selling client. We believe clear, consistent and concise communication and teamwork are the key to success.
What makes you a great realtor? I feel that what I bring to the table is my experience with contracts and the overall real estate transaction. There are a lot of ways to help provide protection for your clients when negotiation a contract, and there are also many ways to get your client and yourself into a lot of trouble if you are not experienced in drafting and presenting your offer. We take extra steps to keep ourselves educated and up to date on all the changes that happen to a contract and all of the addendum and amendments. We try to put our clients in the best position possible on every transaction.
How do you stand out from other realtors out there? We really focus on attention to detail, never rushing our clients, listening to their needs and try to deliver what they are asking for.
All photographs are memento mori. To take a photograph is to participate in another person’s (or thing’s) mortality, vulnerability, mutability. Precisely by slicing out this moment and freezing it, all photographs testify time’s relentless melt. ~ Susan Sontag
Elite MMA Belt Test
Thank you Maria for being my model in trying out something new!
My 21 Days of PALEO!
I’ve never been one to diet nor have I ever considered it but recently I was talked into doing the 21 day Paleo challenge by my sister. I didn’t have to choose this challenge but I had heard about it before so Paleo was what I wanted to go with. Even though I always thought Paleo was expensive , I found out it’s really not. It even sounds complicated, but truthfully it isn’t. I mean, my first day I had no idea what I was doing because I hadn’t done any research what so ever. I had even just went to the grocery store a couple days prior (not knowing I was soon going to be dieting) and bought an 84 count box of mozzarella sticks, pizza and god knows what else.
I’m a carb feign by nature, so starting this Paleo journey has definitely been a challenge for me. With that said, I do not regret it in the least. Yeah, I plan on hitting up some carbs on day 22… Shooot, I’ve even gone over which chocolate candy bar I’m going to eat first HA-HA-HA. (It’s out of the 3 Muskateers and Reeses). Guess what, by the time you’re reading this I’ll already be on day 22! Hmmm, makes you wonder, huh. 🤔 What is she eating right now? I wonder what candy bar she chose? Yeah, right now, I wonder that too.
No, seriously though. Even though I do miss some carbs, I’m really glad I agreed to the Paleo. My cooking will never be the same again! If you’re wondering what physical affects I’ve noticed from Paleo, I lost 6 lbs in 6 days and by the second week my skin looked healthier and younger. I’m now on day 19 and I feel great. To anyone feeling up to it, needing a good challenge or just bored with your usual routine? I challenge you!
If you need a guide and don’t know where to start, feel free to follow our board on Pinterest here.
EVER WONDER WHY YOU’RE SO TIRED?
Here’s 10 Reasons Why You’re Tired All the Time
- Depression – You could be depressed and not even know it. This is because depression can take hold gradually without a person even realizing thoughts and feelings increasingly dominating his/her perspective over life.
- Sleep Apnea – It causes people to wake up throughout the night because they stop breathing which in turn causes a person to feel tired during the day. Sleep Apnea can also cause high blood pressure, diabetes, depression and headaches.
- Skipping Breakfast – The most important meal of the day so they say. Why? Because it gives you energy for the day by fueling your body. It’s good for your health and improves your mood and your memory. Skipping breakfast can make you feel tired and make it harder for you to feel awake. Keep in mind, if you are not eating the proper nutrients you need to function, your body most definitely will slow down.
- Dehydration – According to WebMD, water makes up the majority of your blood and other body fluids, and even mild dehydration can cause blood to thicken, forcing the heart to pump harder to carry blood to your cells and organs. Quick Tip: Immediately prior to waking up, drink 16 oz of water. It makes a difference… and you’ll notice it.
- Napping – It may not seem like enough time but try taking a nap longer than 30 minutes. Taking longer naps can actually cause you to wake up feeling more tired. After 30 minutes your brain falls into a deep sleep which will lead to you waking up feeling groggy.
- Not enough Iron – One of the most common symptoms of iron deficiency is exhaustion. For your body to deliver oxygen throughout it, iron intake is critical. It produces hemoglobin, a protein that helps red blood cells deliver the oxygen. So without iron, your body suffers and can potentially lead to anemia.
- Eating too much fat or bad fat – Fats takes up a lot of energy to process slowing down digestion. Ever wonder why after eating fast food or a high intake of carbs you feel extremely lethargic and want to pass out? There you have it. Try eating less bad fats and more healthy fats like avocado per se. The same for carbs; for example sweet potatoes or plantains.
- Too much coffee – Ever notice how the more coffee you drink, the more tired you feel? I have. It’s true that your 1st morning cup gives you a good energy boost but too much coffee can cause dehydration and in turn fatigue. Another option to try aside from coffee is green or black tea and dark chocolate (70% cocoa or higher)!
- Not Enough Exercise – Let’s say you get off of work and feel way too exhausted to work out so you skip it. Huge mistake! Regular exercise has the ability to increase your energy, improve your muscle strength and boost your endurance. Even though you may not be feeling up to it, I guarantee you’ll feel so much better afterwards. Get your workout on!
- Checking your phone at bedtime – Waking up tired? It may be because you check your phone before bed. On top of that, it has been proven that the light given off by our phone or tablet has the power to disrupt our sleep. Turn it over and set it out of arms reach so you’re not tempted to go for it. If you must check it, do it before lying down.
Most Liked On Instagram This Month
First time at the bark park like…
Events & Entertainment
|Thursday, August 4||Universoul Circus (Buy Tickets Now)
|Saturday, August 6||Spider-Man Day|
|Saturday, August 6||MD Anderson Children’s Cancer Hospital Back to School Event and Fashion Show|
|Saturday, August 13||Pokémon Day|
|Wednesday, August 3||National Watermelon Day|
|Sunday, August 7||National Lighthouse Day|
|Wednesday, August 10||National S’mores Day|
|Thursday, August 11||President’s Joke Day|
|Saturday, August 13||International Lefthander’s Day|
|Monday, August 15||National Relaxation Day|
|Tuesday, August 16||Joke Day|
|Wednesday, August 17||National Thrift Shop Day|
|Thursday, August 18||Bad Poetry Day|
|Monday, August 22||Be An Angel Day|
|Wednesday, August 24||Vesuvius Day|
|Thursday, August 25||Kiss and Make Up Day|
|Friday, August 26||National Dog Day|
|Saturday, August 27||Race Your Computer Mouse / Mice Day|
|Monday, August 29||More Herbs Less Salt Day|
|Tuesday, August 30||National Toasted Marshmallow Day|
Thanks so much for stopping by. Please like and share with all of your friends. If you have any questions or suggestions, I’m all ears!
With much respect and appreciation,